Friday, October 29, 2010

Easy baby shower/nursery decor

To help my sister and my friend prepare for my baby shower, I volunteered to make the decorations. I knew that I could then use them to decorate the baby's nursery, so I was up for the challenge. 
(Killing two birds with one stone is my life long mission.) The three projects here are a banner, a mobile, and an alphabet canvas.  The nursery theme is pancakes so I made the banner to say "Baby Cakes." The color scheme and circles where inspired by the bedding I chose. Circle and pancakes also go well together. I used a Cricut Machine to cut out the circles and then ran them through the Xyron Sticker Maker for a quick fix on adhering the parts together. It only took a couple hours to assemble and I am really pleased with the end results. I finished the project with some ribbon in coordinating colors.
 
 
The mobile was the easiest of the three projects. I simply painted a knitting hoop in a white wash color and attached some circles leftover from my banner project using clear fishing line. I made three to hang around the baby shower, and am just using one to hang over the baby's bed. The circles tie in well with the baby's comforter.


My favorite project was not done in time for the shower, but was completed just days after bringing the baby home from the hospital. This alphabet canvas has pictures of things that begin with the corresponding letter next to them. Pictures of family pictures make up some of the letters. I painted chipboard letters and cut out pictures from scraps of paper from other projects. The only thing I had to buy for this project was the canvas and paint. I already had plenty of paper in my scrap drawer to make the rest. Once we had a picture of our newest family member, I printed it and slapped it on to complete the project.

1 comment:

  1. Great projects Nikki! I love the way your alphabet canvas turned out!

    ReplyDelete